The Office of Multicultural Affairs coordinates the Safe Zone Program at UNC Asheville. Safe Zone symbolizes the university’s initiative to increase awareness and acceptance of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities (LGBTQ). The purpose of the Safe Zone Program is not only to create a network of allies and resources for the LGBTQ communities at UNC Asheville, but to enhance continued sensitivity and understanding of the larger umbrella of non-normative sexual identities and gender expressions.
For more information about the Safe Zone program at UNC Asheville, please contact Multicultural Affairs via email at email@example.com.
As OMA works to revamp the Safe Zone Program, there will be no trainings held in the Spring 2018 semester (including requested trainings).
There are four tiers to the UNC Asheville Safe Zone Program:
Tier 1: Safe Zone Ally Program
This tier will focus on the basic definitions, terms, and concepts related to LGBTQ culture. Participants in this tier will gain foundational knowledge about LGBTQ life, identity development, and how to serve as an ally. Participants will also receive tools and resources to help create a more inclusive spaces.
- Participants will gain a general understanding of terminology associated with sexual identity, LGB identity development, gender identity, and transgender identity development.
- Participants will gain a general understanding of the differences between gender identity and sexuality.
- Participants will understand heterosexism, homophobia, and transphobia as social constructions and tools of oppression.
- Participants will learn how they can be allies for the LGBTQ community through action steps they can take in their classrooms, peer groups, and campus community.
Tier 2: Ally as an Advocate
This tier will provide in-depth knowledge and awareness of issues faced by the LGBTQ community and will focus on how to become effective advocates. Participants in this tier will also have the opportunity to self-reflect, and critically examine societal issues faced by members of the LGBTQ community.
- Participants will examine issues prevalent in the LGBTQ community.
- Participants will enhance communication skills to combat heterosexism, homophobia, and transphobia within society.
- Participants will examine instances of heterosexism, homophobia, and transphobia within our current culture and learn how they could intervene.
- Participants will learn how to advance in their ally development and work towards becoming advocates for social change for the LGBTQ community.
Tier 3: Transgender Ally Program
This tier provides education and awareness about issues related to the transgender community. Participants in this tier will be learn how to serve as allies to the transgender community.
- Participants will explore the experiences of the transgender community as well as the institutional and structural obstacles they face.
- Participants will learn ways in which they can become better allies for the transgender community.
- Participants will gain tips and tools on how to create safe spaces for those within the transgender community around campus.
Tier 4: Training the Trainer
This tier focuses on training UNC Asheville students on how to facilitate Safe Zone workshops and trainings. Participants will become a part of a volunteer group that will help the department of Multicultural Affairs facilitate Safe Zone workshops across campus.
- Participants will learn the content of and how to facilitate the Safe Zone Ally Program.
- Participants will gain skills in effective facilitation through skill development and training.
- Participants will gain leadership skill through their role as Safe Zone Student Facilitator.